2nd Semester (From February 10)
I know it’s been a while since my last email, so there may be a lot that I have to update you on.
We are officially underway for 2nd semester. Ensembles have been set, and rehearsal prep is going well for our performance at District 12 Band Festival
Jazz Band Performance February 13th
The Jazz Band is performing in the Valentine’s Day concert with the Encore Singers. Any leftover tickets not sold by members of the Jazz Band should be brought back in on Monday morning to be collected.
WE ALSO NEED HELP with the signup genius link here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/70a0544ada7283-valentines
I’m attaching the Flyer HERE for anyone interested in going.
Pre-Festival Concert February 27th
Our Pre-Festival Concert is Tuesday, February 27th, in the Berkley High School Auditorium. This concert will feature all three of the concert ensembles. Edward J. Lucius, director of bands at Thurston High School, in Redford will be our guest clinician. Following the performances from each of the ensembles, Mr. Lucius will greet the students onstage and conduct a brief clinic. This is for the benefit of not only the students, but the parents as well, as they will be getting an inside look into the process of preparation for Band Festival.
District 12 Band Festival
All three concert ensembles are performing at Clarkston High School on Saturday, March 10th. The Concert Band’s performance is at 8:20 a.m., the Wind Symphony at 10:20, and the Symphonic Band at 1:25. Bussing information will be given to you as it becomes available.
State Solo and Ensemble March 17th
Times have still not been posted for the events for State Solo and Ensemble. As soon as I have that information, I will forward that on to the relevant parties.
I have been asked countless times about pit, and the answer unfortunately still is that I don’t know. That being said, the score and parts are physically in the high school now, so it’s a matter before I am able to get a hold of them and set up times to rehearse. Look for that information from me soon.
That’s all of the information I have at this current moment, but look for another email from me soon, likely containing all of the information I forgot to include in this email.
This message is for those who are going to Planet Rock on Saturday, so please disregard if you are not attending this event.
If you are attending the evening of climbing at Planet Rock, there's a few things that will make the event more efficient (there are a lot of you going, so the more we can do beforehand, the better). Here's what I need you to do:
- Fill out an online profile
- Fill out the digital waiver
This will DRASTICALLY cut down on time that we'll spend not climbing, if everyone does this beforehand. I'll remind everyone tomorrow as well, but the more people that do it now, the better.
If you are traveling down to Ann Arbor separately, you are welcome to get there before 8:00 and start your climbing lesson.
I would encourage you all to dress appropriately - we are going to a gym, so you'll likely want stretchy, breathable clothing that you won't overheat in.
The address for the gym is 82 Aprill Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48103. It's behind the Lafontaine Kia dealership. If you drive past the Habitat for Humanity building, you've gone too far.
The Planet Rock website also has information for first time climbers, should you have any questions specific to when we're there.
Finally, I'm still waiting on some money from a few more individuals, so if you have not paid me for the event yet, please bring in your remaining balances tomorrow.
Congratulations! (From December 13)
LAST NIGHT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!
Seriously, to watch the evolution of the groups over the last three months has been truly inspiring to me. I was talking to my Mom last night, and she asked me how I had the energy to keep up with you all, to which I told her my energy is driven by your willingness to be here and your excitement for music making.
All of the bands performed admirably, and I am very excited to continue on this upward trend with you. I hope you feel great about your performance, I received nothing but compliments for how you played. I know you are aware that there are always things to grow and improve upon, but we are off to such a great start, I have no doubt you'll push the envelope of excellence over the next weeks, months, and years.
Up next is Planet Rock in Ann Arbor this Saturday. Don't forget, if you're planning on taking the bus, it will be departing from the band room entrance at 6:30 p.m. this Saturday, December 15th, and I'll be meeting you down in Ann Arbor. Hester West will be your parent guide on the trip down and back in the evening. I'm really excited to share with you all this hobby of mine, I know you're going to enjoy it.
Thank you all for your continued support and guidance in my first year here at Berkley. I've received some very nice compliments about how seamless this transition has been this year, and I guarantee you the single biggest reason for that is how welcoming and supportive you've all been towards me as I learn more about this wonderful community.
Congratulations, again, on a great evening of music making, and I hope you all have a nice, relaxing holiday break.
Week 12 (From November 28)
- Saturday, December 2nd, we have the Holiday Lights Parade for the Marching Band. Dress warm for this event, and the only thing I ask is that you wear dark bottoms and shoes, and your rain jacket. Other than that, have fun with the holiday decorations. We'll be meeting at 3138 and 3126 Bacon Street, and students must be ready and lined up no later than 5:00 p.m.Use Catalpa or Wiltshire to get to the lineup location.
- Friday, December 8th, please pay the final $15 for Planet Rock.
- We have a bus for the evening at Planet Rock, which will be picking up students at 6:30 outside of the Band Room on Saturday, December 16th. If you would prefer to ride the bus, please put your name down in this Google Form so that I know who to expect to be going.
- There is nothing official about this, and don't feel obligated to do so, but I am going to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi also on Saturday, December 16th, at Rave Cinemas in Ann Arbor, for the 4:05 p.m. showing (and I just bought my ticket here). If anyone else cares to come down early to Ann Arbor to see The Last Jedi, I'd be more than happy to see some of you there.
- The December concert is two weeks from tonight, on Tuesday, December 12th. This will feature the Jazz Band, Concert Band, Wind Symphony, and Symphonic Band. The performance will be in the high school auditorium and starts at 7:00 p.m. Please help volunteer by signing up to help with the 50/50 Raffle Here.
- The Berkley Bands are performing at Cedar Point on May 25th, 2018. This is not exclusive to any one ensemble, but is open to anyone wanting to go. We'll perform for a panel of judges, and then the students will have the rest of the day to enjoy the park. More information, including costs, will be coming out for that as it becomes available, but I wanted to give you all the heads up now so that you may begin making plans for that should you so choose.
Week 9 (From October 30)
The Jazz Band played at the Military Appreciation day this morning, and happily received a standing ovation at it's conclusion!
No school tomorrow - enjoy your day off!
We'll be starting doing concert uniform fittings for high school students this Friday.
Saturday, December 2nd is the Holiday Lights Parade. Stay tuned for more information on that as the date nears.
Tuesday, December 12th is our December concert, featuring the Concert Band, Wind Symphony, and Symphonic Band.
Saturday, December 16th we'll be attending Planet Rock in Ann Arbor, from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m. This is going to be a great bonding activity for all band members!
Week 8 - Parade, Solo and Ensemble, Planet Rock (From October 23)
Only one big event this week, but several smallish things that need to be taken care of.
Halloween Parade is tomorrow. All marching band members should come to the band room at the conclusion of third hour. We'll be having an early lunch, and then the bus is picking us up at 12:00. We'll be marching in the parade at Burton, and then we'll be bused over to Anderson, where we'll play in their assembly. After the assembly, which I've been led to believe will conclude around 2:45, you are dismissed for the day. I will be heading back to the band room for anyone who left any of their items prior to leaving for Burton. Students are encouraged to dress up in costume for the parade and assembly.
Wednesday is the last day to register and turn in money for Solo and Ensemble. We have 8 events signed up so far. I'd like that to be WAY higher.
Climbing at Planet Rock is Saturday, December 16th in Ann Arbor from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m. If more than forty people to attend, the cost will be $25 per person. If we don't hit the 40 person threshold, the individual cost goes up to $30. $10 deposit is due this Friday, November 3rd.
The jackets should be shipping out soon, except for the mediums which are on backorder.
November is a relatively quiet month in the band world. We have a 1/2 day this Friday, a Booster Meeting Monday, November 6th, and no school on the 7th. Our next big event to focus on is the Holiday Lights Parade on December 2nd, so look out for more information on that in the coming weeks.
Solo and Ensemble
Solo and Ensemble forms and money are due on Wednesday, November 1st. Please fill out this form to sign up:
Week 7 and Halloween (From October 16)
Fill out this form about Planet Rock: https://goo.gl/forms/BBCuJuW5VjPiONZ33
- Our next event that we have coming up is the Halloween parade for the marching band. This takes place next Tuesday, on the 31st. I'll be sending out more details about this as they become available to me.
- Jackets are almost done, they're shipping out a majority of them at the beginning of next week.
- All State Auditions are this Sunday, October 29th, at Walled Lake Northern High School.
Week 6 (From October 9)
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement towards the students and their performance of the National Anthem on Friday night. I know there was no way to address (or not address) this situation and please everyone, but I feel like it went as well as I could have hoped, and in that regard it was more than sufficient.
- Marching Band Festival! Our performance is on Thursday, October 12th at 6:00 p.m. at Royal Oak High School. Students should be ready and in the band room by 4:00 p.m.
- If you plan to attend the performance, the host site is asking that you enter the high school from Normandy Street to avoid parking chaos.
- I will not be at Thursday evening's parent teacher conferences, but will be available Wednesday evening and Thursday afternoon.
- 1st and 3rd hour will be outside every day except Friday
- Tuesday evening is our last outdoor rehearsal at 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, we have pep band rehearsal after school and evening conferences in the East Gym.
- Thursday - Marching Band Festival!!
- Friday - We will prepare for the indoor concert the following week
- We are performing at Royal Oak High School's Glow Show on October 20th.
- We are also participating in a Bernstein Celebration Festival on May 1st, 2018. Be on the lookout for more information about that event as the date nears.
Week 5 (From Oct. 1)
Whereas I usually abbreviate my emails, I feel it necessary to post this one in it's entirety, given the sensitive nature of the material being addressed. Sorry for the length of the email:
Our last football game is this week! Unfortunately our football team is currently 1-5, so we will not be attending playoffs this year. This means that our last performance for the high school is during halftime at this Friday's game.
There's been a point of concern brought to my attention this last week - there are several individuals who have expressed their desire to kneel during the playing of the national anthem. I'd like to address this head on, so that this doesn't get out of hand. I've been trying to figure out the best way to address this, and here is what I've come up with:
Given that I am your teacher and director, I will not allow my decisions for the band to be influenced by political motives. As such, I feel that it is not for me to decide if you should or should not kneel in protest during the national anthem. I am, however, concerned for the performance quality of the anthem, and this is something that is in the realm of responsibility for which I am challenged to lead. If you feel, on a personal level, that you can maintain the integrity and purpose for what you believe the anthem to stand for, I will not allow my personal beliefs to stand in the way of your decision to stand or kneel. You will not be penalized academically for your decision, regardless of what that will be. I cannot say the same for any social/cultural consequences of your actions, as I have no control over the feelings of others in this matter.
Let me also emphasize that a majority of you may not feel strongly one way or the other, and therefore not make a conscious decision to stand or kneel. THIS IS OK FOR YOU TO FEEL THIS WAY. I don't want those individuals to feel that, in deciding not to kneel, that they are in essence choosing to "side" with those who are actively standing in protest of a protest. At the end of the day, we are friends, and we are family to each other, and I cannot allow for members of the bands to treat each other differently because of a choice they have the right to make. If you decide to kneel, I don't want to see or hear any harsh judgment towards those who don't. If you decide to actively stand, I don't want to see or hear any harsh judgment towards those who kneel.
This is important, and I want everyone to understand this - you are welcome in this band family, regardless of your personal beliefs towards any issue facing our band family, community, state, or country. I will respect your beliefs, as I would expect the same of you. If, however, those beliefs turn into acts of disrespect towards those who show a willingness to be here, those who decide to punish others because of a lack of commonality in ideology will face long discussions, and the potential dismissal from the band program. You are all welcomed and are all wanted in this group. I hope that you will extend the same level of companionship to others that you expect to be extended to you.
- If you have not yet had the chance to pay for your band jacket, I will take that payment whenever you can get it to me. If you are writing a check, please address it to the "Berkley Instrumental Boosters"
- Please sign up for tag days, if you have not already done so. http://signup.com/go/OFtYgor
- We also need people to sign up to help with the 50/50 raffle for this Friday's game. Please sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044ea5a82ea02-20172018
Here's the schedule for this week:
1st/3rd Hour: Inside - working on September, Beth, and halftime music.
2nd Hour: Continuing work on "As Summer Was Just Beginning" and "Sleepers' Wake"
Evening Marching Band rehearsal on Hurley Field 8-10p
1st/3rd Hour: Outside - Going over changes to the show for the homecoming game.
2nd Hour: Joy and the March
Drumline Sectional after school
1st/3rd Hour: Inside - Stand tunes, homecoming music
2nd Hour: March and Sleepers' Wake
1st/3rd Hour: Outside - As much of a run through of halftime as possible
2nd Hour: Joy and As Summer...
1st/3rd Hour: Outside if necessary - Run pregame and halftime
2nd Hour: Full concert run of all four selections
Last game on Friday, let's make it the best performance yet!!
Week 4 (From September 25th)
- No Rehearsal Tonight, September 25th.
- Drumline Sectional this Tuesday, at 3:00 p.m. in the band room.
- Jazz Band Results will be announced in the near future, before Wednesday. I am going through the recordings and will have a decision soon.
- If you have not already done so, please follow this link - http://signup.com/go/OFtYgor - and sign up for tag days. Remember, the prime locations get picked early, so sign up SOON! More information for this can be found on the website at www.berkleybands.org/tag-days
- Marching Band Jacket $ Due Friday, September, 29th. Please make checks out to the Berkley Instrumental Boosters. If you have already made a check out to Berkley High School, don't worry about it, we'll take care of it.
- All-State Registration forms and $ due Friday, September 29th. Information about All-State auditions can be found on the website.
Week 3 (From September 18th)
Jjackets for the marching band finalized and ready to order. The cost of the jacket is $35, due Friday, September 29th. Again, let me know if this is of concern for you, and we'll work with whatever the situation may be.
- We are not participating in EMU band day on Saturday.
- If you are interested in auditioning for Jazz Ensemble, the audition music is now uploaded on the berkleybands.org website. (remember, the website is www.berkleybands.org/music, not the BIB Weebly site). Please find your specific instrument and selection, and email me an audition recording by the end of the day on Sunday to be considered for participation.
- Scales will be due by the end of the day on Sunday. The assignment this week is scales 1-6. If you haven't already downloaded them, these are also located at www.berkleybands.org/music
Week 2 (From September 14th)
- The first BIB meeting of the year is tomorrow, Monday, September 11th, at 7:00 p.m. at Bagger Dave's on Coolidge. Attached to this email is the minutes from the June meeting for anyone interested to review.
- Jazz Band starts tomorrow! If you have been a member of the Jazz Ensemble in the past, you are welcome back again. Jazz Ensemble will meet Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and the Jazz Lab (open to any students who want to play jazz) will meet Tuesday/Thursday at 6:30 a.m. in the band room. Look for more information soon if you are interested in audition for any spots that are open in the Jazz Ensemble.
If you have not done so yet, I need to know your jacket size by filling out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/kMQDEuSTd1d7LTPZ2
Email Information Highlights
Week 1 Pt. 2 (From September 2nd)
- If you are still missing parts for your uniform, please email email@example.com with your concerns.
- Shoes have been ordered, so if your issue is with that, you don't need to let her know, that's already being taken care of.
- Join the Berkley High School Pep Band - Email Tytus Sewell at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, instrument, grade, and favorite flavor of ice cream.
- Please fill out this single-question form with your jacket size (this specific jacket will be for marching members only) - https://goo.gl/forms/Lty3cHRWVngInyMB3
Week 1 (From September 1st)
- Check your schedule to see which band class you are in, things may have shifted around.
- Shoes will be ready in time for the game on Friday.
- Missing raincoats are going to be ordered soon. If we need them for a game and don't have them, we'll come up with a plan B.
- Nike Warmup jackets for everyone in the marching band. Plans are being finalized, we're looking at a cost of about $35. If this is a concern, please come talk to me.
- There are still a few more slots for the 50/50 raffle that need to be filled. Please sign up here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044ea5a82ea02-20172018
Game #2 (From August 30th)
- Game #2 tomorrow evening, and you can check out a preview of the new pregame entry on the BerkleyBands Instagram
- Tie-dye shirts and Khaki shorts for the game. The new pregame will be too difficult in jeans.
- Please arrive at the Lot next to the high school and be ready to play at 5:00 p.m. We'll be chunking through halftime, as we didn't get to it last night, and doing a quick recap of pregame.
- I will be at the Michigan Marching band practice tonight at 7:00, if any of you may be coming down. Their practice is at Elbel Field, which is on the corner of Hill and Division. There's a giant scaffolding with the Michigan Marching Band Logo on it, it's pretty hard to miss.
- This is completely optional, but it will be a cool experience, and I would encourage you to attend if you can
Correction, Update, and 50/50 Raffle (From August 28th)
- Rehearsal tomorrow is at 7:00 p.m., as stated in the calendar you received some time ago. I made the mistake of thinking it was at 8:00, but it is at 7:00, and will run until 9:00.
- Due to the shortness of time and limited schedule, there will not be any sort of organized trip down to Ann Arbor to see the Michigan Marching Band, but you are more than welcome to attend a rehearsal on your own volition. They have rehearsal tonight at 7:00 p.m. that runs until 10:00.
- Please sign up for the next game's 50/50 Raffle. We had great success at the last game, so thank you to those who have helped already! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044ea5a82ea02-20172018
- I have notes from the last game to go over, as well as new music for the stands that we'll hopefully get to at tomorrow night's rehearsal.
Marching Band Game #2 (from August 25th)
- We'll go over successes and points of concern at rehearsal on Tuesday at 8pm
- Shoes - Please email me - email@example.com - if you have any issues with your shoes, either that they are the wrong size or that you don't have them at all.
- Look for information regarding visiting the Michigan Marching Band's Camp and rehearsal this upcoming week.
Thursday Football Game (From August 22nd)
- We will meet at the practice field next to the Football field. Please be ready to rehearse by 5pm
- Due to the continued construction, limited parking spaces and anticipated traffic on Thursday, we cannot park in the lot next to the football field. Please plan accordingly so that you can be ready and on time.
- We will be wearing our Summer uniforms for the game - the Tie-Dye camp shirts and Khakis.
- Crazy in Love will be performed as our closer, in the arcs that we made last night. I've heard rumblings of sectionals planned for tomorrow (Wednesday) night, and I applaud those students taking the initiative to plan these meetings.
Post-Band Camp (From August 20th)
- Please sign up to help with the 50/50 Raffle
- Marching Rehearsal Monday 8/21, 8-10p
- Shoes are being sorted out, we'll have the correct sizing and brands to everyone as soon as possible.
- We have a game on Thursday!! Work on Crazy in Love so we can play it. Call for that game is at 5pm and I'll have more information about where we're meeting when I have figured that out.
- One note of concern - Please, as soon as you are aware, let me know of any conflicts. There were a lot of students missing camp and not letting me know until far too late.
Band Camp - Tuesday Evening (From August 15th)
We're at the end of Day 2, and things are going really well. A couple of things, and I'll keep it short.
- We still need volunteers for the rest of band camp. Please sign up for anything you can, whenever you can: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b49aca922a13-marching5
- Bowling is tomorrow night! It's 15 dollars at the door. We'll be doing a final head count tomorrow for the event tomorrow evening.
- The tie-dye shirts that were made today should stay in the bag for 24 hours. After bowling tomorrow, you should take them out of the bag, rinse them off, and wash them like you would normally.
- Thursday, if weather doesn't improve, we'll likely be at Norup. You'll receive more information on this as we get closer to then.
Information about Band Camp Week (From August 11th)
- Please use this link - http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b49aca922a13-marching5 - to sign up for volunteering for this week.
- A look at the week ahead:
Free Ice Cream Social at 7:00 p.m. in Prom Park
Theme: Wacky Tacky day!!
No evening activity
Theme: Section Colors!! Wear the following for your section:
Drum Majors: Blue
Evening activity: Tie-Dye band shirts
Theme: Beach Party!!
Evening Activity - Bowling ($15 per person) following rehearsal
Evening Activity - Pizza Party/Paper Plate awards at Burton Field following rehearsal.
Theme: SHOW DAY!!!!!!!!!
Friends and Family Performance at 12:30
Barbecue for those interested will follow the performance
Pre-Camp and Band Camp (from August 9th)
- Pre-camp is off to a GREAT start
- Please properly hydrate
- Please eat a proper meal prior to rehearsals
- In order to combat this, I'm asking that, for the remainder of pre-camp, we spread the responsibility, and that different sections bring in a small snack for the marching band each day. The groups are as follows:
Wednesday - Woodwinds
Thursday - Drumline and Color Guard
Friday - Brass
- Facilities have notified me that there is no place to store instruments, you will have to bring your instrument to and from rehearsal each day.
- Bowling next Wednesday evening is $15 per person. There will be a signup on Friday for those wishing to attend
- If you won't be at rehearsal Friday, please let me know before Sunday if you plan to go bowling.
- Please follow our new Instagram account @BerkleyBands
Pre-Band Camp Requirements (from August 2nd)
- Be prepared to come to pre-camp with the following items:
- Light fabric shirt with short sleeves*
- Closed-toed shoes that have a low profile (i.e. no high-tops - if you can bend your ankle, you're fine)
- Socks (no blisters on your heels, please)
- Water Bottle
- Marching Instrument
*Please adhere to the district guidelines regarding appropriate means of wearing these articles of clothing
- You can also bring a hat/sunglasses. I want you to be comfortable.
- My school email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Band Camp (from July 30th)
- Pre-band Camp Schedule:
Monday, August 7th: Leadership Only
Tuesday, August 8th: Leadership, New Marchers, Color Guard, and Drumline
Wednesday, August 9th: Leadership, New Marchers, Color Guard, and Drumline
Thursday, August 10th: Leadership, New Marchers, Color Guard, Drumline, and Sophomores
Friday, August 11th: Full Band
- Your show theme:
The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Phil Collins - You'll Be In My Heart
Beyonce - Crazy In Love
- I hope you'll enjoy performing these pieces as much as we did picking them out.
Just one Band Form (from July 22nd)
- Please fill out this form - https://goo.gl/forms/QYDUW38HON2ABNOj1.
2017-18 Berkley Band (from July 18th)
I'd first like to take a moment to introduce myself: My name is Adam Collins, and I was recently hired as the new director of bands at Berkley High School. I'm extremely excited about the opportunities that await the performing ensembles, and I can't wait to build on the musical successes that have enriched the community for so long.
I've been in communication with some members of the bands, notably the drum majors, to start preparations for this coming school year. We've put together some exciting concepts, including setting a marching band show and selections, which you'll be receiving more information on soon. I'll also be sending out more information as it becomes available to me.
Again, I am incredibly excited to begin our work together! I look forward to becoming a part of the Berkley community, and building professional and working relationships with all of you.
- Adam Collins